Sunday 24 February 2013

Review of "The Torah: The Five Books of Moses" (Sacred Text)

The Torah: The Five Books of MosesThe Torah: The Five Books of Moses by Anonymous

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Disclosure:
This book was a part of my study in the Jewish tradition, Actually it helps me understand the main pillars of believing in the Jewish religion. And it was also the reason why I develop somehow my Hebrew. The book I am reviewing is translated to English, I don't read it in Hebrew. And here is my point of view upon it.

The General Idea:
The Torah consist of five books, Bereshit, Shemoth, Vayiqra, Bamidbar, Devarim. These five books contains all the events of life that happens to Jews during the leadership of Moses (PBUH). It contains also the recommendations and the forbidden thing that were imposed upon Jews during the period of Moses as a prophet. Inside the Torah there is a mention of several prophets that were behind Moses... The list is very long that's why I don't have to state it.

Amazing Facts about Torah:
Pending on the knowledge I have to this religion, Torah is very sacred, and in order to touch it, you have to be clean, besides, you have to wear that Kippah, and the praying shawl called Tallit. It is not allowed to touch Torah with your hand, the reader will use a "Yad" fabricated from wood in order to follow the reading of the holy script.
Since the Torah is written in a very old Hebraic language, most people find it difficult to understand, luckily Jews may use another form of Torah which simplified. It's called "Talmud" or "The oral Torah", most of "Talmud" contents are the interpretations of Moses to the "Written Torah".
"Torah" recommend Jews to abide by "Gods' laws" in order to became "Tsadikim" meaning "True Believers". "God" have a lot of name inside "the Torah" including "Akadosh Baruchu" "Elohim" "Elokay"... Jews avoid writing the name of God completely, fearing from the sin of Falsification and disrespect of God's name.

My Personal View:
Referring to the book I am reviewing, "The Five Books of Moses" gave me a deep knowledge of how the Jewish religion is. For the moment I am convinced that Jews were ordered to love everybody no matter his race is. and to choose peace and tolerance as the right path for their life. Besides, the proverbs and the teachings of Moses were so meaningful. Now I have a profound knowledge on the Jewish Tradition by virtue of this nice book.

Recommendations:
You have to bear in mind that this is a sacred text, so there is no need to tell about your negative comments.. because I am really astonished to see people voting 1 out of 5 or 3 out of 5. It's like they are reviewing some D.H. Lawrence books.



View all my reviews