Sunday 3 February 2013

Review of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Alice in Wonderland (Alice, #1)Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Disclosure:
I have been waiting for the moment to review this nice piece of work, written by Lewis Carroll, and now since it's been apart, each volume is independent from the other I find my burden to say a word about this novel. I have an eBook from feedbook, the part of Through the looking Glass will be reviewed soon enough.

My Plot:
The Story begin with Alice setting with her Young Sister, enjoying the nature and sweet air when a white rabbit passed through, Alice followed him, they pass through a hole, Alice get excited by tracking the white rabbit to the world of Wonderland, she found a room with a golden key and a bottle saying "Drink Me", she drink the bottle but she forget to take the key that open the door of the Wonderland. After some hard tries to get to this wonderland, Alice feels lonely and despair. She met an old rat, and asks for his help, the Rat takes her to dry out, and from here begins the adventures of Alice in the wonderland. Adventure that actually devour against loneliness and hopelessness, mystery and knowledge. The end goes like this... After Alice gave her testimony in the court for the case of who ate the cakes, Alice begin to grow up inside the court, and hence she finds herself asleep, and that everything that has happened was actually a dream.

Positive and Negative aspects:
Alice adventures in Wonderland was just an account written by Lewis Carroll to a small ill girl, but it grows to be a world heritage in English Literature. The main positive aspect I get - as a reader - is that I get familiar with the creatures inside the story. Now I know what is meant by "the Griffin", "the Big Torture", and "the Marsh Hare", and several mysterious creatures. besides, I enjoyed reading the poetry and songs that used to be a part of the English Heritage. Another positive aspect was that the story of Alice goes through stages, so that every chapter is connected to what it precede and what will comes next.

My Personal Reaction:
the First personal view that I would like to express is that the story was really amazing, I enjoyed reading the adventures of Alice with the mysterious creature including "the Cheshire Cat" and "Mad Hatter".. It was really amazing to explore the cultural heritage of England and what they used to believe in. Even if the story was meant to be read by Children, I as a grown up man share the same feeling of Children when they read this nice piece of Literature.

Recommendations:
I hear that this story was banned in China due to its personification of Characters acting in the same level of Human, and thus I recommend readers to just bear in mind that this work was only for the sake of Enjoyment, it was not a criticizing work of any purpose. I may recommend a dictionary to look for the meaning of the Mysterious Creatures if you are not accustomed to the English culture, "Have a Good Reading".



View all my reviews