Thursday 24 January 2013

Review of The Land of Israel in the Bible by Jacques Van Ruiten

The Land Of Israel In Bible, History, And Theology: (Vetus Testamentum, Supplements)The Land Of Israel In Bible, History, And Theology: by Jacques Van Ruiten

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Disclosure:
I get this book free from charge from a Professor who advice me to read about the Land of Israel, I have an eBook format written in English, with a nice quality script.

Overview:
The Book of the Land of Israel in the Bible consist of two parts, the first part investigate the scope of Israel from a religious point of view, so the writer in this part is taking out texts from the old bible of Aramaic and explaining it in accordance to the existence of Israel as a land. In fact most of the chapters of the first part discuss the Land of Israel from religious perspective and main reference for the first part Is Joshua and some parts of Old Testament in Greek and Hebraic. the second part of the Book discusses the Land of Israel from a Historical perspective meaning that most of the reference in the second part are historical accounts on mainly in German language. in which they extract the geographical shape and the dimensions of the Land of Israel.

Positive and Negative aspects:
The Book as a Historical investigation tries to convince the reader and to give them a general background about the Historical facts and Figure of Israel as a cultural entity. In fact the reference and vague and various, but what inspires me the most was the manner used to translate every single information to the reader.

My Personal Reaction:
Actually I get much information about the main topic, and I get inspired by the methods used to convince the reader, in fact the contributors were skilled to represent a subject that long have been a matter of violence and differences, I really been amazed to explore these mass information about the main topic. I face some difficulties to understand the second part especially the German part of the Book, Apart this, all went OK.

Recommendations:
I really have a funny time reading this book, so I recommend it to everyone who want to explore the history and the cultural entity of the Land of Israel, Actually it is a verification to every single part of Jewish anthropology. The Book contains some German and Hebrew texts in addition to some Old Greek texts, so I recommend people to bear this in mind before start reading.




View all my reviews